Thursday, September 4, 2008

Labor Day Adventure

We have all been so very busy lately and we really haven't had much time as a family, so we decided to go away for labor day weekend. We went to Charlotte because they have a six flags type amusement park there and also a great childrens museum. We spent Saturday at the amusement park and had a blast. They had a ton of rides the kids could go on and even scaled down versions of roller coasters like batman. Sean is like his parents and he loves roller coasters. He went on every ride he was tall enough for. Avery, our giant girl, was tall enough for most of the roller coasters (and she's only 2)but we decided that we wouldn't put her on them. Even though she's tall enough, she is still young and I wasn't sure how she would handle them.

Anyway, things were going great and we were having a blast when things took a turn for the dramatic. :) I had given Avery some childrens sudafed because she was congested (like the rest of us) and while I was in the restroom, she got into my purse and found my pillbox. I came out to find her mouth covered in red and my adult sudafed bottle totally empty!!! Yikes! Not only did she have her own dose of sudafed she had eaten about 8 of the adult ones! After a quick call to poison control we were off to the ER. Scary as it was, things turned out fine. Avery was given lots of "halloween juice" (charcoal) to drink and she did great. She drank it all and most of the medicine was absorbed. She had an acclerated heart rate and her eyes were really dilated but she came through everything just fine and after about 5 hours we were able to leave the hospital. The hospital we took her too had a childrens ER and they were amazing! She had the best doctor and nurse and we couldn't have been happier with all that they did.

We are so thankful that she is fine and everything is back to normal.



3 comments:

Cindi said...

Tricia-

That is so scary! I am so glad that Avery is ok!

Kaylynn said...

I remember when Joshua got into sudafed, luckily it wasn't an entire package. I am surprised that Avery at the whole thing, they are quite bitter. Good luck with Hannah! Kaylynn

Jamie Harker said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad she's alright! Look at her cute older brother the protector with her.